Home is where the heart is, but unfortunately, it’s also where a lot of common household poisons lie in wait for your dog. Dogs are naturally curious, and they learn a lot about their world through their sense of smell and taste. However, some things in your home could be deadly if your dog eats them. Here’s how to keep your dog safe from some common poisons.
You may leave out rat poison to drive away vermin, but it could be fatally tempting to your dog, too. Instead of using poison for pests, try alternative methods such as traps and other deterrents. If you do use poison, be sure to keep it well away from your pet.
Fertilizers and lawn chemicals
Some fertilizers can smell tasty to dogs, but they can be one snack that’s best left uneaten. Lethal chemicals in many fertilizers and pesticides can cause anything from upset stomachs to death in pets. Be sure that if you use these on your lawn, your dog doesn’t follow behind and lick the chemicals.
Many brands of antifreeze have added a bitter flavor to this naturally sweet-tasting chemical. If you change your own antifreeze, be sure to keep it away from your pets. Even small amounts can lead to complete kidney failure for pets, so be sure to keep unused antifreeze stored safely and dispose of old antifreeze responsibly.
Some human foods can actually be toxic to dogs. You may already know that chocolate is dangerous for dogs, but you should also keep them away from raisins, grapes, caffeine products, alcohol and yeast dough.
If you ever drop a pill, be sure you find it and pick it up, or you could be risking your dog’s safety. Many human medicines are dangerous for your pet’s health. Pain relievers can cause stomach ulcers, and even vitamins can make your pooch very sick. Store medications out of your dog’s reach to keep him safe from harm.
Tags Dog safety